‘Moneyball’ has a new trailer

By brendon June 16, 2011 @ 4:45 PM

‘Moneyball’ is a baseball drama starring Brad Pitt, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Jonah Hill, from the director of ‘Capote’. Sony Pictures describes it like this…

Based on a true story, Moneyball is a movie for anybody who has ever dreamed of taking on the system.
Brad Pitt stars as Billy Beane, the general manager of the Oakland A’s and the guy who assembles the team, who has an epiphany: all of baseball’s conventional wisdom is wrong.
Forced to reinvent his team on a tight budget, Beane will have to outsmart the richer clubs.

That’s right. This guy broke all the rules and created a new system so a small market team like Oakland could beat dynasties like New York and Boston in a sport with no salary cap.

Except that he didn’t create it, the system is called sabermetrics and has been around since the 1980’s, and he didn’t implement it in Oakland, his predecessor did (the Jonah Hill character doesn’t exist), and during his 13 years as GM the A’s have never won the American League much less a World Series. In fact they haven’t been above .500 in 5 years, while Tampa, who is in an even smaller market and has New York and Boston in the same fucking division, was in the Series 3 years ago. So far this season Oakland is last in their division, with the second worst record in the American League.

So this movie tells the story of how the worlds most boring sport added math to create a system that doesn’t work. Holy shit, can I go stand in line now?

(be sure to note the meeting with the A’s scouts, who are all depicted as being in their 200’s. Yeah movie, we fuckin get it, it’s New vs. Old. You didn’t have to literally show that. Let me guess, their names are stuff like Stan Still, Theo Oldway and Tommy Noblacks. I hope everyones bifocals and VCR-sized hearing aids aren’t too subtle. Maybe they should re-shoot this scene and have them holding giant horns up to their ears. Would these be the same scouts who drafted the American League Rookie of the Year back to back to back just 10 years earlier? Why not 4 years in a row? Clearly they have no idea what they’re doing.)

1. Mac-Daddy 06/16/2011 16:49

Jonah Hill sucks!

He should just die of Diabeties already

2. nowfubar121 06/16/2011 16:59

Looks like an awesome movie, you dick.

3. uknowwhere2findme 06/16/2011 17:21

Boooooyyyyzzzzzzzzzzz….I’m back….who missed me?
    Come on now….don’t be shy!!!

4. i hate you 06/16/2011 17:38

pepper i thought you got pinched for violating your parole.

5. uknowwhere2findme 06/16/2011 17:40

No parole just hanging out at FB…but too many people started to delete my dirty comments…they can’t take that shit

6. Observer 06/16/2011 18:00

Pepper……….FB..??

…you have a “Fuck-Boys” account…?

7. Admiral 06/16/2011 18:21

Wow. I have to commend WWTDD for enlightening me to NOT watch a sport that totally sucks, anyway. No really, thank you.

8. uknowwhere2findme 06/16/2011 18:22

Shut up Observer

9. Mr. Nutt 06/16/2011 18:44

I think soccer is the worst followed by baseball.

Obs, I found one person who doesn’t love you. uknowwhere2findme 06/16/2011 18:22
    Shut up Observer

10. uknowwhere2findme 06/16/2011 18:48

You can take your lips off my dick now My Nutts…can you swallow first before you talk to me….

11. Mr. Nutt 06/16/2011 19:11

My lips wouldn’t be anywhere near that thing you call a dick let alone in the same state.

12. chief1719 06/16/2011 19:21

The Jonah Hill character is Paul Depodesta who obviously wouldn’t allow them to use his name. Sabremetrics have been around since the 50′s but Beane was the first General Manager to utilize sabremetrics in the actual operation of a baseball team.

13. chief1719 06/16/2011 19:23

And the reason that the A’s have had so little success in recent years is because the big market teams are now utilizing sabremetrics as well, thereby pushing them back down to the basement. They have never won anything because 5 and 7 game playoffs are two small a sample size for the better team to win. Over 162 games, the statistically superior team will rise.

14. yecker2000 06/16/2011 21:39

Look man I’ve been reading you for a year and I like when you get all whiny about people who deserve it, but you have absolutely no fucking idea what you’re talking about here.

Just zero.

So backoff the sports and get back to your titty watching and sitting at your computer for hours at a time.

Oh, in case, you wanted to do some research, who was the only team besides the Yankees to win more than 87 games or more from 1999-2006?

Also, I’m a Rangers fan.

15. Tony 06/16/2011 21:51

The Red Sox have Bill James on staff and have won two championships. Sabermetrics works. It’s not about money, it’s about statistical analysis of what wins baseball games.

Billy Beane was different in that he was looking into statistical categories from sabermetrics that were undervalued in the player market because the A’s top brass were cheap. Specifically, Beane and Paul DePodesta were focusing on on-base average when everyone else was obsessed with batting average and runs batted in. His main goal was to just be competitive, which he was. But, he was a victim of his own success (or actually someone else’s success, technically) and now everyone utilizes sabermetrics.

16. ToastfaceGrillah 06/16/2011 21:57

Same sentiments as yecker, I have no idea what you’re talking about. Read the book.

17. Observer 06/17/2011 00:56

“Money Ball”……..

…that’s odd…..that’s the same phrase the Guatemalan hookers use when I meet them behind the dumpster…….

18. Observer 06/17/2011 00:58

uknowwhere2findme…Peppered….@18:48…….

….sorry…..I forgot you were still in the closet…..