Michael Jacksons personal physician Dr. Conrad Murray was found guilty today on one count of involuntary manslaughter after Jackson overdosed on a combination of drugs, notably the highly controlled anesthetic propofol, that were administered by Murray.
Murray faces up to four years in state prison and the loss of his medical license, although a recent rule adopted in the state of California could result in the cardiologist being sent to an L.A. County jail, where he would almost certainly spend only a portion of his sentence behind bars.
The offense was buoyed from testimony by Jackson employees who witnessed the panicked scene in the artist’s room when he stopped breathing, the detectives and forensics experts who led the investigation and, perhaps most poignantly, from anesthesiologist Dr. Steve Shafer.
Shafer testified that he found 17 areas in which Murray violated medical protocol and ethics, from Murray’s inexplicable decision to treat Jackson’s insomnia with the anesthetic propofol to his lifesaving attempts in Jackson’s final moments.
This still seems like a witch hunt. Michael Jackson has looked dead for 10 years. Propofol must be packed with vitamins because it’s a miracle he even stayed alive this long.