I don’t know why I’m so fascinated by this but a copy of “The Scream” by Edvard Munch set a new art auction record when it sold for $119,922,500 last night in New York. And it’s not even one of the paintings (*). It’s pastel on cardboard, and “pastel” is just a fancy art word for “crayon”. The people in this story are all so dumb and gullible I have to assume Cameron Diaz is involved somehow.
(*) he did at least 5 of these:
1. this pastel in 1893 that was probably a practice run for…
2. a pastel and oil on cardboard in 1893 now at The National Gallery in Oslo (high res picture here).
3. a lithograph in 1895 (high res picture here).
4. the pastel on cardboard in 1895 that sold last night (high-res picture here).
5. an extra creepy tempera on cardboard in 1910 now at the Munch Museum in Oslo (high res picture here).