Mark Cuban Is Almost Not a Hypocrite

By Lex May 22, 2014 @ 6:27 PM

Mark-Cuban-Smiling
Mark Cuban said that he’s feeling hesitant about voting to take away Donald Sterling’s franchise rights because he himself and probably everybody in the world is at least a little bit racist.

If I see a black kid in a hoodie at night on the same side of the street, I’m probably going to walk to the other side of the street.

Shit, not the old black kid in a hoodie thing that white people use as the least offensive concession of having racist thoughts. If I see a black kid with gang tattoos in a prison jump suit carrying a gun and yelling ‘come here, cracker, so I can pop you’, I will shift to the other side of the road. I am a racist! Still, it’s a point. Even though we don’t all have Mexican hookers to order to stop hanging out with black dudes in public, everybody is some innate level of hateful prejudiced bastard. So what business do the NBA owners have judging Donald Sterling so harshly as to take away his thirty-year long franchise just for telling his whores his color rules. Mark Cuban notes the hypocrisy in casting such a vote. Then he announced he will be voting for the punishment anyhow. It’s enough just to point out the right thing to do, you don’t actually have to do it. That can be a pain.

Photo credit: Splash News

meachi40 05/22/2014 20:06

been following your site daily for 4 years now, and this is the first time i felt the need to comment…you have to provide the second half of that quote, i.e. “and if i saw a guy with face and neck tattoos, a white guy, on the other side of the street, i’d cross again” in order to provide a bit of context. what he said was not well worded, but it is not as damning as you claim it to be

2. KC Webb 05/22/2014 21:37

wow. You just pick and choose pieces of a quote. Show the whole quote and quit trying to make someone look like a bigot. Cuban made a very intelligent comment about a very touchy subject that was right on point.

ciko 05/23/2014 10:42

meachi40… same thing here. This was an open dialogue and cuban spoke truth. nothing racists if you look at the second half of the quote that is sadly missing.

but on the other hand… if people are coming to WWTDD for news, then we are a failure as a nation.

Shortshanks 05/23/2014 11:13

Nudes > News

Zotmaster 05/23/2014 12:11

Honestly, I’m just happy when an article written by Lex appears to be written at least at a middle school level.

GHUA 05/23/2014 13:19

As successful as Mark Cuban may be he’s never struck me as being the sharpest tool in the shed. That said, I don’t see what the big deal with his statement is. I mean, women are told to be aware of the people around them when they’re alone in public. And that seems to be accepted as common sense. Mark just not put ideas into words so good.